Hair fall, breakage and poor quality (frizzy, dry) has become a major concern for every second or third adult or even adolescent today.
Ironically stress is a major cause of hair problems & losing hair even bigger cause of worry.
Here is some of the medical lingo, which a person usually hears from the doctor or comes across while searching on Google during his struggle through the hair problem.
ALOPECIA means loss of hair from places where it should be usually present- scalp, body.
Diffuse loss of scalp hair, commonly seen in females- termed as FEMALE PATTERN HAIRLOSS/ BALDNESS
MALE PATTEREN BALDNESS / ANDROGENIC ALOPECIA are hair loss affecting temples predominantly, followed by vertex. It’s the most common form of hair loss, prevalent in 30-40% young males.
TRACTION ALOPECIA- caused due to undue pulling or hair – tight ponytails or hair accessories.
ALOPECIA TOTALIS- baldness in entirety.
ALOPECIA UNIVERSALIS- loss of scalp & body hair.
ALOPECIA ARETA- hair loss in patches.
TELOGEN EFFLUVIUM is a scalp disorder characterized by the thinning or shedding of hair, may lead to baldness in the long run.
CICATRICAL ALOPECIA- is a type of alopecia where there is destruction of hair follicles leading to permanent hair loss; there may be burning, itching, pain & redness of scalp along with hair loss.
Hair loss, breakage & poor quality of hair can be attributed to a variety of other causes –
- Physiological Conditions like- Pregnancy, Post delivery period, Menopause, Breast Feeding
- Scalp Infections or inflammatory conditions- Dandruff, Seborrhea Dermatitis, Psoriasis
- Nutritional Deficiencies- Iron, Vitamin D, C, A, E, B complex especially B6, Zinc, Magnesium, Selenium.
- Illness – Typhoid, Cancer, Liver Diseases
- Endocrine / Hormonal Disorders- Thyroid Gland Disorders, Renal Disorders, Pituitary Disorders, Poly cystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Drugs- Antihypertensive drugs, Corticosteroids, Oral Contraceptives, Anti- depressants, etc
- Mental Stress
- Overuse of Cosmetics/ Hair Products, Hair accessories and hair styles that may cause friction or make hair dry
- Genetic Predisposition
- Environmental factor- pollution levels, toxins in water & air
MANAGING HAIR LOSS –
- Correcting the underlying condition- scalp infection, taenia capitis, hormonal illness, etc, the recovery from underlying illness mostly ensures regaining of hair. Sometimes a systemic illness may lead to severe hair loss, which may be corrected by homeopathic medication.
- Nutrition for Hair- Proteins, Minerals, Essential Fatty Acids. Hair, like most body tissue consists of proteins and for synthesis & repair of a number of micro nutrients is required.
- Avoiding harmful agents-certain drugs, alcohol, nicotine (tobacco, smoking).
- Avoiding overuse of dyes, cosmetics, hair styling products that may damage hair roots. Use of chemicals on ones scalp & hair should be minimal so that the scalp is clean & pores can breathe.
- Hair massage to improve circulation is a tried -n- tested way to perk up dry hair.
- Mild shampoo’s to keep scalp clean.
- Medication- a therapy that suits the patients needs & inclinations could be, conventional medicines, homeopathy, ayurveda & naturopathy Keeping stress levels to minimum ensures a healthy body.
- Building strong immunity to keep infections far off.
HOMEOPATHY FOR HAIR LOSS –
Homeopathy helps in treating the underlying causes like hormonal Imbalances, deficiencies, scalp infections & even hereditary hair loss to stop or slow down hair loss & promote new growth in men & women both.
With proper homeopathic medication, nutritional & hair care advice hair growth, quality & density show dramatic improvement.
# LYCOPODIUM CLAVATUM
This one of the commonest indicated remedy in male pattern baldness. Hair loss in females after child birth. Loss of hair from beard, eyebrows and other parts is also an indication for Lycopodium. Hair loss associated with liver disease is well treated by this remedy
Sepia is indicated in hair loss associated with physiological & hormonal disorder- pregnancy, lactation, post delivery, menstrual irregularities. Facial pigmentation or chloasma may often be seen in such patients.
Is another proficient remedy for baldness in men. Alopecia in females, associated with hormonal disorder like Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Scalp infections like boils, taenia capitis, seborrhic dermatitis are also an indication for Silicea.
# CALCAREA GROUP-
Calc Carb & Calc Flour is frequently prescribed for hair problems associated with hormonal disturbance in men & women both who corroborate with the respective constitution types.
This is indicated in alopecia areta, male & female pattern baldness. Also indicated in scalp infections like dermatitis, psoriasis etc.
# NAT RUM MUR
Alopecia associated with delivery, lactation & chronic illness best responds to Natrum Mur. That triggered by an emotional event – grief, loss of a loved one or emotional trauma leading to depression like state is a very prominent indication of this remedy.
# PHOSPHORIC ACID
This remedy is similar to Natrum Mur in its indications. Commonly indicated in alopecia universalis or totalis.
Hair falling in handfuls, patchy hair loss in men & women of Phosphorus Constitution Type. Dryness, brittleness and hair loss from other body parts is also an indication for phosphorus.
This is a nosode. Indicated in dry, brittle, splitting hair, associated with scalp conditions like psoriasis, dermatitis, taenia infections.
# FLUORIC ACID
This is indicated in dry, brittle hair which may break on least touch. Alopecia or Baldness in young males responds very well to this remedy.
# APIS MELLIFICA
Is often useful is hair loss in females suffering from Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. A patient of the Apis Constitutional Type response promptly to this remedy, whether administered for hair problems, allergy or any other complaint.
This remedy is indicated in a number of illnesses with associated hair disorders. Scalp & skin infections, inflammatory illness like psoriasis, dermatitis, and taenia capitis are competently treated & cured by Sulphur.
Other remedies often useful in treated in hair loss are Selenium, Staphysagria, Baryta Carb, Thuja, Medorrhinum, Ignatia, Kali Carb, Tuberculinum or any Homeopathic Remedy that suits the totality of symptoms & constitutional type of the patient.
Homeopathy offers excellent solutions to hair & scalp conditions. A therapeutic diet combined with Homeopathic Remedy and hair advice one can put and end to hair problems.
Hope this helps with your hair woes!